Our origins

In the early 1930`s “Lord Somers` Camp and Power House”, our parent Association, held youth camps at Somers on the shore of Westernport Bay, where boys from all walks of life, aged between 15 and 17 were treated to a week of sport, learning and comradeship. These camps are still held once a year in January. Many of the attendees banded together to continue their friendship and as a result a number of clubs were formed – Rugby, Rowing, Hockey, Australian Rules, Water Polo and others.

http://www.lordsomerscamp.org

The Power House Rugby Club was formed in 1933, and excluding the war years, has functioned ever since. In 1983 we celebrated our 50th year as a First Division Club. We produced a book on the history of the club and held a number of other reunions throughout the year. We also broke the “Guinness Book of Records” World`s Longest Try by running 1470.6 miles. 

Since 1933 Power House RUFC have been First Grade Premiers 11 times – the latest in 2006, 2007 and 2008 making it a triple header for the first time in the club’s history. We don`t like to talk too much about the number of times we have been runners-up, beaten on the whistle (recently 1989, 1991 and 1996).

The 11 First Grade Premiership Teams winning the Dewar Shield:

1938 During the year “A” Grade played twenty matches of which seventeen were won, two lost and one drawn and won the Premiership by defeating Footscray in the final. The Footscray side, which had won the Premiership for the past two seasons were beaten 18 points to 8 by Stan Bisset and his men and the first grade flag triumphantly brought to Lakeside for the first time.

1956 1958 1968 1973 1974 1987 1997 2006 2007 2008

Power house rugby 1938
Power House Dewar 1973